http://astore.amazon.com/avemusjoe-20

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jury Still Out on X Factor

I've watched American Idol since it premiered in 2002 with Kelly Clarkson walking away a winner, with the exception of the season in which Ellen Degeneres was a "judge". I guess I still watch it for the new crop of talent that arrives each year making it seem fresh and new.
I am still undecided after watching a couple audition shows of X Factor whether I am interested in yet another singing competion show.
To me it seems like a cross between AI and that other show that debuted earlier this year, The Voice. After the auditions X Factor puts the contestants that passed their auditions into a boot camp in which the judges will narrow the glut of people down to 32 and divide them up, which compares to The Voice where the judges picked who they wanted to work with, which is exactly what the 4 judges on X Factor(Simon, Paula, Randy...er L.A., and Nicole) will do when that number becomes 32.
So far XF has not had the gaudy numbers that AI put up, but it has the potential to be a thorn in their side, even though it doesn't look like they will be going head to head...yet.
The wanna-be multi-millionaire recording artists are likable for the most part. I mean you get a wide range of personalities and characters, as you would with any other group, but I am interested in getting to know these people more in the coming episodes.
Even though Factor has its parallels with Idol, it is beginning to distinguish itself as a show that can keep the Idol fanbase who were no doubt bummed when Simon left before last season, and next week's boot camp scenerio will at least keep me tuned in...at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment